For more information call (717) 757-9474 or visit wish.org.
- About 15-30 million Real Christmas Trees are sold in the U.S. every year.
- Nearly half a billion Real Christmas Trees are growing on farms all over the U.S.
- Real Christmas Trees are your most environmentally friendly option. In comparison, artificial trees contain non-biodegradable plastics and possible metal toxins such as lead.
- Across the U.S., more than 4,000 programs support the recycling of Real Christmas Trees.
- Real Christmas Tree farms support the preservation of green spaces.
- In the U.S., the Real Christmas Tree industry comprises about 21,000 businesses and provides employment to 100,000 people.
- To grow a Real Christmas Tree to full height (6-7 feet) can take anywhere from 4-15 years, 7 years on average.
The above is based on information from the National Christmas Tree Association. For additional details, see their website at http://www.christmastree.org/facts.cfm.
- Farm produced and grown in the U.S. and Canada
- Trees support complex eco-systems and the plant tissue is 100% biodegradable
- Trees absorb carbon dioxide and are PVC and Lead Free
- Decomposing trees release nitrogen and other elements into the soil
- Scientists have found no significant chemical residue on fresh cut Christmas trees
- Fresh cut christmas trees can be recycled in a variety of ways
- In North America, 40-50 million trees were planted in 2007
- An estimated 446 million trees are growing on farms in the U.S.
- Seedlings are planted in March-May and September-October
- For every tree harvested three seedlings are planted
- Over 2 million trees are currently growing in our fields
- Conifers on our plantations produce enough daily oxygen for approximately 54,000 people (the entire population of Greenland)
- 85% are manufactured in China's factories
- Factories consume natural resources
- Raw materials are sent to factories and assembled into the final product
- Artificial trees are made of metal and plastics
- Plastic is a petroleum byproduct non-biodegradable
- Petroleum, used to make plastic is a non-renewable resource as are metals
- Artificial trees are made from PVC and they are NOT LEAD FREE
- PVC itself is a dangerous chemical
- Manufacturing of PVC creates and disperses dioxins, the most toxic man-made chemical known
- Dioxins accumulate in fatty tissues of animals and humans, potentially causing cancer, damaging immune functions and impairing children's development
- Artificial trees are disposed of in landfills
- An indefinite burden on the environment
- Artificial trees are only used for an average of six years
Strathmeyer Christmas Trees
255 Zeigler Road, P. O. Box 70, Dover, PA 17315
800-345-3406 • 717-292-5683 • Fax 717-292-4129